I enjoy seeing mamas take their talents and run with them. They make it work for themselves. I believe some of the most talented women in the industry today take inspiration from children as they are so pure and not afraid to hold back and Michelle captures this through her photos.
I had a chit chat with Michelle and this is what she had to say.
Check out her work here: www.michelle-marshall.com
1. TELL ME ABOUT YOURSELF. WHAT IS YOUR BACKGROUND?
Born and bred in Lyon (France), I work as a freelance photographer, work part time for a performing arts college and live in London with my British husband and our two daughters Lola and Sissi. I am also the founder/owner of online boutique quirky collective.
2. TELL ME ABOUT YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH QUIRKY COLLECTIVE.
quirky collective was born in 2010 out of a wish to present favourite clothing brands from my daughter’s wardrobes, by creating a platform where i could showcase how well those brands understood what it meant to be a child. in late 2013, I decided to put the store on hold to focus on photography.
3. WHAT MADE YOU DECIDE TO STOP THE SHOP AND CONCENTRATE ON PHOTOGRAPHY?
I felt that some of the initial edge quirky collective had when launching had been lost and with so many online boutiques sprouting up in a very saturated market, trying to rethink its existing format whilst running the business as a one-woman band, was just not possible. Plus the store’s audience and focus seemed to gradually change, as photo commissions started to pick up.
4. WHERE DO YOU GET YOUR INSPIRATION FROM FOR EACH OF YOUR SHOOTS OR SUBJECTS?
There is no typical thought process. Inspiration arises from a particular mood, emotion and from the subjects themselves.
5. DO YOU HAVE A FAVOURITE PLACE IN LONDON YOU LIKE TO GO TO FOR INSPIRATION? PARIS?
Everywhere is good for inspiration. The simple act of looking with no particular expectations often brings some pleasant surprises.
6. ARE YOU INSPIRED BY MUSIC? WHO ARE YOU LISTENING TO AT THE MOMENT?
I love music. here’s my top 10 playlist:
1-‘Holdin On’ by Flume
2- Diamonds by Y’akoto
3- Keep Ya Head Up by 2Pac
4- BTSU by Jai Paul
5-Get Free by Major Lazer
6- don’t go (acoustic version) feat josh kumra by Wretch 32
7- simply beautiful by Al Green
8 -What Am I Gonna Do With Myself by Al Green
9 never gonna give you up by the black keys
10- Running by Calibre
7. WHO ARE YOUR FAVORITE KIDSWEAR DESIGNERS AT THE MOMENT?
I would have pieces from the following designers in my girls’ wardrobes:
HBB Industria Argentina
8. IF YOU COULD COLLABOATE WITH ANYONE IN THE WORLD, WHO WOULD THIS BE? WHY?
I don’t know… sorry!
9. WHAT IS THE BEST ADVICE SOMEONE HAS GIVEN YOU?
My mum always said if you can’t get it done the way you want it done, have a go at it yourself.
10. WHAT ADVICE CAN YOU GIVE TO US?
If you long to do something, don’t wait around for someone else to do it.
11. WHAT’S NEXT FOR YOU? ANY EXCITING PROJECTS YOU WOULD LIKE TO SHARE WITH US?
I have a couple of personal photo projects, I would like to get off the ground once commissions quieten down, hopefully sometime very soon!