Friday 3 January 2014

Chit Chat Friday with Sosatsuma

    

     Knitwear is a serious business I tell you! There is nothing worse than a scratchy jumper or scarf. Knitwear is suppose to be soft and luxurious and something that you want to wear all the time. I came across Sosatsuma on twitter I believe and fell in love with the brand instantly! Beautiful knitwear for kids and adults, made in the UK, what else could I ask for? Clementine, owner of Sosatsuma only uses the best yarn out there and the best colours too. She understands what parents and kids want when it comes to knitted accessories. With a world full of horrible knit, it's time you start buying the best! I had a lovely chit chat with Clementine about Sosatsuma, read on to learn about her business. 

     Side note: apologies to Clementine for just getting this interview up now. I was hoping to have it up before Christmas, but the days got away, but as it's still winter, there's still loads of time to get yourself and your little one a beautiful Sosatsuma piece!

     1.    TELL ABOUT YOURSELF, WHAT IS YOUR BACKGROUND?

I am clementine, I live in Manchester with my husband and two boys (Louis 7, Seth 3).  I come from a back ground of knitters and creators. As a young child I took knitting for granted, my mother would always have a project on her needles. my grandmother was renowned for making something from nothing and a flawless seamstress.

I knit continuously, I never stop and I do not work to patterns, I never have. I now have a few notes on some pieces but I would be embarrassed to share them, for me knitting is not a structured activity, I feel that not learning to follow patterns has freed me to work in ways that traditional knitters find more difficult.

     2.    HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN KNITTING FOR?

For me the interest in knitting didn't come until later, although I had always known knitting, I showed little interest in learning until I had my own children. From the second I began knitting...I have never stopped!

     3.    WHAT INSPIRED YOU TO START DESIGNING KIDS ACCESSORIES?

Having my own children triggered the interest in developing a children's range.  I was completely uninspired by the mass produced accessories and general knitwear available.  For me it is about quality! There are so many reasons for a child to wear a pure yarn, not synthetic or nylon that swamp the children's market at present.  Wearing pure merino, for example, provides the smallest wearer with a comfortable temperature, a pure yarn will breath and adapt to the childs body temperature. Paying a little extra on a quality classic piece can have so many rewards.

     4.    WHO ARE YOUR FAVOURITE KNITWEAR DESIGNERS?

With out question the wonderful Julia Ramsey. I love any designer breaking the mold, changing the way people think of such a traditional process of making. Her work is wonderful.

     5.    WHERE DO YOU GO FOR DAILY INSPIRATION? DO YOU HAVE A FAVOUITE CAFÉ, STORE, BLOG, ETC YOU GAIN INSPIRATION FROM?

Day to day I am with my children, watching the way they wear and interact with their clothes is always an interesting staring point.  I find often that I am inspired primarily by the wool I'm working with, I use high quality yarns and pick them because I am drawn to them, maybe because of the texture or colour, I find an idea begins to form immediately.

     6.    iF YOU COULD COLLABORATE WITH ANYONE IN THE WORLD, WHO WOULD THIS BE? WHY?

Anyone...oh my goodness where to start.  I love Vivien Westwood, I would love to design a dramatic piece along side her work.

However, more relevant to our children's accessories, Bobo choses, I am a huge fan of their work, It would be a dream to collaborate with them.

     7.    DO YOU LISTEN TO MUSIC WHILE YOU ARE DESIGNING? IF SO, WHO ARE YOU LISTENING TO AT THE MOMENT?

Sadly not a great deal at the moment, I tend to be with my sons when knitting and so they get control of the music.

     8.    AT THE MOMENT YOU ARE JUST DESIGNING ACCESSORIES, DO YOU PLAN TO DESIGN KNITWEAR AS WELL?

We do offer bespoke jumpers, in keeping with our range they are bold, simplistic and chunky, but only available on custom order. We do however, have a well established adult range too!

     9.    WHAT’S THE BEST ADVICE SOMEONE HAS GIVEN YOU?

Go for it!...this came from my mother and I have never looked back.

10. WHAT ADVICE DO YOU HAVE FOR US?

Life is too short! If you do not like it, change it.  I think as adults we forget too easily that we have autonomy, we do have control, we do have the power to change ourselves and our lives.

As for children.... have as much fun as you can possibly have EVERY DAY !  

11. CHRISTIMAS IS JUST AROUND THE CORNER, DO YOU HAVE ANY  HOLIDAY TRADITIONS?

oh yes! we are absolute fans of Christmas, without doubt my favorite time of year. My whole family gathers at my sisters house in lytham for a week long celebration together, as a family we now have christmas down to a fine art.  But our strongest tradition has to be getting up at the crack of dawn on Christmas day...we all get a little over excited !

12. ANY EXCITING NEWS OR EVENTS COMING UP? WILL YOU BE AT ANY HOLIDAY FAIRS THIS SEASON? WHERE CAN WE FIND YOU?
  

This season has seen us take part in some wonderful events! including the fabulous places event at the round house in Derby, an amazing event that bought 12000 people through the doors! we are always in attendance at the wonderful Treacle market in Macclesfield, an incredibly lively market with great hustle and bustle with and atmosphere matched by no other market I have attended.  We are also over the moon to be involved with the snug gallery in Hebden bridge, a treasure trove nestled in the Yorkshire valley! We are also hoping to take part in an exhibition at the royal exchange theatre in Manchester that will run from January to march.  We are also in discussion with various children's boutique for our 2014 collection. This year, we hope, will see us vastly improve on our web presents so that are whole range is easily available to all!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...