Friday 28 March 2014

Chit Chat Friday: Corby Tindersticks




I'm super excited to have Carly Joanne Gledhill, creator of Corby Tindersticks on Chit Chat Friday today. You've probably heard of Corby Tindersticks and many of you have her lovely organic clothing and creations in your kid's rooms. I just love her felt world map, it's definitely the coolest. Creating a world of fun adventures and giving children the confidence to be their cool selves, Corby Tindersticks is the best companion any child could have. Read on to find out more about Corby Tindersticks!

www.corbytindersticks.com



1. TELL ME ABOUT YOURSELF. WHAT IS YOUR BACKGROUND?
Hello! My name is Carly Joanne Gledhill, I’m from Huddersfield, West Yorkshire and I’m 30. I grew up drawing and sewing and now I make a living from it (just).

2. HOW DID THE IDEA FOR CORBY TINDERSTICKS COME ABOUT? WHERE DOES THE NAME COME FROM?
I bored my housemates for years making characters out of bits of rubbish at university. I was supposed to be studying textile design but drawing robots and making little characters seemed to grab more of my attention.

Corby was born in reaction to having a really boring day job. I needed to
do something creative to keep myself happy and combine textile design and illustration, which are my main skills. The name came from childhood memories of tents and building campfires in Wilderberry woods near the coast of Leicestershire.

3. WHAT SEPERATES CORBY TINDERSTICKS FROM OTHER BRANDS? WHAT WOULD YOU LIKE US TO KNOW ABOUT THE BRAND?
Corby is all about having fun and being creative. We like nothing more than celebrating the underdog and anti-hero. Every child should have freedom to express themselves regardless of gender or age. Our range is aimed at no-one in particular and we don’t follow trends.

4. WHERE DO YOU GET YOUR INSPIRATION FROM FOR EACH COLLECTION?
Nostalgia plays a big part when designing. Dreaming of my childhood in the countryside mixed with cutting edge life in the creative hub of East London. We’re a safe haven in the middle somewhere, around 1996, sat in the garden, reading the Magic Faraway Tree.

5. ARE YOU INSPIRED BY MUSIC? WHO ARE YOU LISTENING TO AT THE MOMENT?
I have always been massively inspired by music and as a teenager I wouldn’t go anywhere without a band t-shirt and freshly dyed hair. I used to be really into punk, but nowadays my musical taste is less sweary. I love the National, Warpaint, Summer Camp and Bjork at the moment.

6. DO YOU HAVE A FAVOURITE PLACE IN LONDON YOU LIKE TO GO TO FOR INSPIRATION OR BRAINSTORMING?
I love popping into Shoreditch to see what has changed since last week. There’s always some new graffiti and a new shop with the latest hipster trends on show. It’s forever updating and it’s really inspiring if not totally ridiculous!

7. IF YOU COULD COLLABORATE WITH ANYONE IN THE WORLD, WHO WOULD THIS BE? WHY?
I’ve said this before but I don’t think he heard, Wes Anderson, whenever you’re ready, give me a call lad.

8. WHAT IS THE BEST ADVICE SOMEONE HAS GIVEN YOU?
A young lass from Hull once told me ‘You don’t get nothing if you’re a shy bugger’. It’s probably an olde Yorkshire proverb and I like it a lot.

9. WHAT ADVICE CAN YOU GIVE TO US?
You don’t get nothing if you’re a shy bugger.

10. WHAT’S NEXT FOR CORBY TINDERSTICKS? ANY EXCITING PROJECTS YOU WOULD LIKE TO SHARE WITH US?
Myself and Nicole Frobusch set up a little showroom called Dot to Dot London and we will be having our second show in summer at the V&A Museum of Childhood. It’s an exciting new platform for young British brands to show their new collections and collaborate! I am also really excited about the Molly-Meg pop up shop at Anthropolgie down the Kings Road. I will be doing a workshop there on the 5th April!












No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...