Friday 22 November 2013

Chit Chat Friday with Big Fish Little Fish




I'm a true believer that just because you have kids doesn't mean you have to give up the things you once loved to do. My husband and I are experienced ravers/party goers. We pretty much met dancing the night away and to be honest, at times, we still want to dance the night away! Hannah Saunders, founder of Big Fish Little Fish Events feels this way too and that's why she started BFLF. Big Fish Little Fish is a brand new creative and exciting music and dance party for the post-rave generation of parents and kids. A dance party for the whole family without the cheese. Top Djs spinning their tunes while sipping on a stiff drink and the little ones enjoying kiddo activities just for them. This sounds brilliant! 

Big Fish LIttle Fish have been hosting parties in Brixton for a bit now but have mosied their way up to North London for their first party this weekend in Tufnell ParK!!!! I am so excited! And guess what???? Starting in January, they'll be hosting monthly parties right here in Crouch End!!!!!!!

I had a lovely Chit Chat with Hannah from Big Fish Little Fish to find out more about this amazing idea. Read on to find out more:

For more information about their parties, please visit: http://www.bigfishlittlefishevents.co.uk

1. TELL ME ABOUT YOURSELF. WHAT IS YOUR BACKGROUND?

44 year old former senior policy civil servant, lifelong reveller and music lover.  Mum to 2 and 3 year old.  Jacked in 20 year career last year to do something different with my life.  Decided to set up my own business, came up with idea for Big Fish Little Fish, family raves, and have been busy learning to be a promoter-geezer woman ever since.

2. HOW DID THE IDEA OF BIG FISH LITTLE FISH COME ABOUT?

I love music and really enjoyed taking my young children to festivals over the summer but couldn't find anything similar to do with them over the winter months.  I decided to create the thing I wanted to go to.  It struck me that so many indoor activities are either about the kids having fun (soft play springs to mind) or the parents (family lunch in pub) but surely I could do something where everyone had a good time.

3. TELL ME ABOUT BIG FISH LITTLE FISH, WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO ACCOMPLISH WITH THESE PARTIES?

Creating weekend, afternoon family raves for old ravers/clubbers to enjoy dancing and being daft with their kids.  Guilt-free fun for music-loving parents, awesome DJs playing quality music and lots of fun for the kids (craft room, baby chill out, parachute dance) so everyone can relax and be social.  What has been astonishing is the DJs who have all jumped at the chance to play.  DJ Food, Nihal, Robin Hexstatic, Raf Daddy, Si Begg - quite unbelievable.  I got to dance on a stage dressed as a dalek next to Mixmaster Morris last week as he played an amazing space funk set.  Living the dream!

4. HAVING GONE TO FESTIVALS YOURSELF, DO YOU HAVE A FAVOURITE FESTIVAL? WHICH FESTIVAL IS MOST KID FRIENDLY?

Glastonbury.  No question.  I'm from Bristol originally and grew up with it on my doorstep.  Can't be bettered, total holiday from life.  I personally also think it the most kid-friendly but you have to plan carefully because it is so vast.  Other than that I'd actually recommend an All Tomorrow's Parties in a holiday camp with very young ones as you can retire to your chalet when it all gets too much and you have your own kitchen.  My two are so young though that they don't need much to entertain them so they're just happy seeing bands and running about.

5. WHO ARE YOUR FAVOURITE DJS AT THE MOMENT?

I'm rather sadly out of touch with a lot of stuff that's come to prominence over the last few years - though I'm working on it. I'll say The 2 Bears - both singly and together.  I think Jo Goddard's Gabrielle was one of the best tracks of the last few years.  I also think Skream does amazing things - but I'd have to be an idiot not to think that.

6. IF YOU COULD COLLABORATE WITH ANYONE IN THE WORLD, WHO WOULD THIS BE? WHY?

Hmm, collaborate.  Do you mean which DJs would I like to play BFLF?  Apart from those I've named above there's a lot of people who soundtracked my hedonistic 90s that I'd love to have - Richie Hawtin, Jeff Mills, Aphex Twin, Phil Hartnoll, Andrew Weatherall.  I also have a big girl crush on Lauren Laverne - so I have to include her.

7. WHERE DO YOU GET YOUR INSPIRATION FOR YOUR PARITES?

From thinking what I enjoy doing with my family really.  In that way it's quite a selfish endeavour.  Luckily it turns out there's quite a few people who have the same interests - dance music, keeping kids happy and booze.  It has also given me a chance to indulge in buying everything from Solar 250 projectors (lighting geek) to bubble machines and glitter cannons.  What's not to love!

8. DO YOU HAVE A FAVOURITE PLACE IN LONDON?

A few.  They're either high on hills by where I've lived looking out over London (Brockwell Park, Primrose Hill) or crossing the Thames - the lifeblood of the city.  My 2 old favourite bars have gone but the bar under the Phoenix Theatre is still going strong for lushes of all ages.

9. FOR THOSE OF US WITH KIDS, WHAT PLACE IS A MUST SEE IN LONDON?

Stroll along the South Bank in the summer, run about the Tate Modern Turbine Hall in the winter (my kids are still v young) or Kew Gardens.

10. WHAT IS THE BEST ADVICE YOU HAVE RECEIVED?

[From a toxicologist] It's perfectly safe to drink alcohol whilst breast-feeding.  As long         as you're sober enough to hold the baby you'll be fine.

11. WHAT’S NEXT FOR BIG FISH LITTLE FISH? AND WHERE’S THE NEXT PARTY? 

We're keeping monthly In Brixton and adding a new monthly party in Crouch End with a North London launch party at The Dome, Tufnell Park on Sunday 24th November 2-4:30pm (Si Begg headlining, tickets available fromwww.bigfishlittlefishevents.co.uk).  Beyond that I want to develop an online community for like-minded parents on the website and have the chance to appear at several festivals over the Summer.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...