Friday 20 September 2013

Chit Chat Friday with Breathe Happiness!


With a million and one blogs out there, it's hard to stand out and make yourself known, trust me I know. But there is one thing you've got to do as a blogger or as a women in general, stay true to yourself and only do you, what other way is there? This is exactly what the amazingly talented ladies from Breathe Happiness believe. Hayley and Shaneen have made a mark on the blogging world because one, they are both extremely talented, and two they are just being themselves! Allowing themselves to stand out from the crowd as there is no one mold they fit in to. 

I became a fan of Breathe Happiness a while ago as I found Hayley and Shaneen so inspirational through their work. Hayley, a talented stylist, interior designer and overall design expert and Shaneen, a talented photographer. Together they strive to bring happiness to others lives through their daily lives. I had a chit chat with these talented ladies and this is what they had to say:

http://www.breathehappiness.co.uk


HAYLEY:





    1.    TELL ME ABOUT YOURSELF. WHAT IS YOUR BACKGROUND?

My name is Hayley, I am 37 years old. I have been married to my teenage sweetheart since I was 20. We have two teenage boys as I write this I cannot quite believe it myself. Time really does fly! My work life is always built around my family and trying to find a balance. I really wanted to do something artistic when I left school, applied to Art College and got accepted only to be talked out of it by my Mum, who said I needed a proper job. So I went to college studied childcare, was always aiming to teach or become a midwife but got married and started my own little family (best thing I ever did) I opened a Nursery School with a close friend when my boys were babies. I loved every minute of running my own business even in my 20’s with two babies. We then relocated back to Buckinghamshire, my Mum was diagnosed with Lung Cancer, she was only 53. It changed all our lives forever….

     2.    YOU ARE A VERY TALENTED WOMEN, AND HAVE DONE SOME GREAT THINGS. AN ICE CREAM VAN, NOW SELLING AMAZING HOMEWEARS WITH YOUR BUSINESS, SOUTHWOOD STORES, WHAT INSPIRED YOU TO START BREATHE HAPPINESS?

Shaneen and I had worked together on many shoots for various designers, we shared a similar outlook on life that I think you gain when you have been touched with such sadness. An outlook that ‘Life is for living’ and everyday is a gift!!! We decided to start a blog together as Shaneen is an amazing photographer and I adore small businesses, social media, Interiors and fashion.

     3.    WHERE DO YOU GAIN YOUR DAILY INSPIRATION? DO YOU HAVE A FAVOURITE CAFÉ, BOOKSTORE, SHOP, MUSEUM, BLOG, ETC YOU GAIN INSPIRAITON FROM?

I am totally addicted to social media, I gain my inspiration from all platforms and I adore people. I find people from all cultures and backgrounds so inspiring. I love listening to people’s stories.

     4.    HOW WOULD YOU DESCRIBE YOUR FASHION STYLE? WHO ARE YOUR FAVOURITE WOMENSWEAR DESIGNERS?

I kind of hate this type of question, I always struggle with this one. I love fashion but it is kind of my own twist and take on things. I feel like I am more inspired by creative people rather than the high street. I love magazines like Frankie, oh comely and The Gentle lady.

5.    WHO ARE YOUR FAVOURITE KIDSWEAR DESIGNERS AT THE MOMENT?

 I have a 14 and 16 year old boys but I do keep an eye on kids fashion still and adore Bobo      choses, beau Loves.

     6.    YOU ARE ALSO SO GREAT AT INTERIORS, WHO ARE YOUR FAVOURITE HOME DÉCOR DESIGNERS OUT THERE? ANYONE WE SHOULD BE WATCHING?

I am in love with simple lines and adore the Nordic influence at the moment. I love change, I treat my home like my wardrobe. I use prints and illustrations like I would accessories for myself. I really love Laura Gee, Seventy Tree, Finelittleday, Ferm Living. I have quite a few retro/vintage pieces in my home too and you cannot beat a rummage at a sale !!

     7.    IF YOU COULD COLLABORATE WITH ANYONE IN THE WORLD WHO BE THIS BE? WHY?

Oooooh this excites me, there are too many people to mention!!! And I wouldn’t want to give away any hints about things we are working on in the future.

     8.    I ABSOLUTELY LOVE YOUR BLOG, WHAT DO YOU WANT YOUR READER TO GAIN FROM BREATHE HAPPINESS?

I want our readers to feel empowered and just live the way they want, be confident in themselves!! Wear what you like and have a happy outlook on their lives!!!

     9.    WHAT IS THE BEST ADVICE SOMEONE HAS GIVEN YOU?

The advice I am ALWAYS trying to take on board is to be more organized but I feel this will always be the one thing I will be aiming for in my life …. (YAWN)

     10. WHAT ADVICE CAN YOU GIVE TO US?

 Try to be kind to yourself at least once a day.

     11.  IF BREATHE HAPPINESS WAS A DESSERT, WHAT KIND OF DESERT WOULD IT BE? 
      
      A layer cake, a multi coloured one too!!

     12. FAVOURITE SUMMER HOLIDAY MOMENT?

 My really good friend celebrating her birthday did a streak on the beach! 40 and proud!!!   Go Suzy!!!



SHANEEN:





    1.    TELL ME ABOUT YOURSELF. WHAT IS YOUR BACKGROUND?

I am 29 years old and grew up in London. After school I flitted from sales job to sales job but art has always been my passion. I used to paint portraits for people in the evenings and weekends but after my children came along finding time to sit at a canvas became impossible, that is when my focus switched from oil paints to photography. The rest is history.

     2.    YOU ARE A VERY TALENTED PHOTOGRAPHER, IS THERE A PHOTO SESSION THAT REALLY STICKS OUT IN YOUR MIND OR ONE THAT REALLY TOUCHED YOUR HEART?

There is a few photographs from a London based designer’s photoshoot that were technically very challenging for me. I went into the shoot with a couple of shots in mind but I knew they would be tricky to pull off because we were shooting in a national trust property and flash/lighting was forbidden. I managed to get the shots I had in my head and they are still some of my favorite ever. It is hard to pick a favorite shoot or photo though because I tend to become so engrossed in what I am working on at that moment but like a designer, once the collection is shot and published you move on to the next.

     3.    WHAT INSPIRED YOU TO START BREATHE HAPPINESS WITH HAYLEY?

I have always admired Hayley and really enjoyed working with her on shoots. We share a very similar vision but our strengths are very different and we balance each other out. She slaps any nerves out of me quite often and inspires me to be braver about things, I’m not sure I could have gotten through my Monopoly exhibition without her.

     4.    WHERE DO YOU GAIN YOUR DAILY INSPIRATION? DO YOU HAVE A FAVOURITE CAFÉ, BOOKSTORE, SHOP, MUSEUM, BLOG, ETC YOU GAIN INSPIRAITON FROM?

This is a tricky one to answer, as I don’t feel I go out looking for inspiration. I think I am more inspired by my goals more than anything else. I’m not driven by money I’m driven by the teenage misfit I was at school who wanted to be one of the talented art students with paint on their shoes and massive portfolios in their arms.

     5.    HOW WOULD YOU DESCRIBE YOUR FASHION STYLE? WHO ARE YOUR FAVOURITE WOMENSWEAR DESIGNERS?

I am totally swayed by photography campaigns; for example, when Cara Delevingne shot for Burberry I wanted everything they were selling. I’m a big fan of Anine Bing and my Stella McCartney bag is my most prized possession.

     6.    WHO ARE YOUR FAVOURITE KIDSWEAR DESIGNERS AT THE MOMENT?

 I think Beau Loves and Bobo Choses are really unique and stand outish. Bread and Jam dresses are very cute and totally wearable for my climbing tom boy of a two year old.

     7.    IF YOU COULD COLLABORATE WITH ANYONE IN THE WORLD WHO WOULD BE THIS BE? WHY?

I would really like to shoot couture mostly because there is usually a massive juxtaposition between the fashion which is so elegant and beautiful and the location for the shoot. I love interesting locations and styling. My heart lies with portrait photography if I am honest so interesting faces like Lily Cole, Gordon Ramsey and Helen Bonham Carter are the kind of things that get me excited.

     8.    I ABSOLUTELY LOVE YOUR BLOG, WHAT DO YOU WANT YOUR READER TO GAIN FROM BREATHE HAPPINESS?

To be brave mostly. I have found that a lot of the time I am driven by fear.

     9.    WHAT IS THE BEST ADVICE SOMEONE HAS GIVEN YOU?

Hayley is always telling me to believe in myself and when I am having a moment of doubt about something I imagine her nagging me in my head.

     10. WHAT ADVICE CAN YOU GIVE TO US?

To pursue what makes you happy. What’s the worst that can happen? Hayley and I have decided we never fail, we just call something that hasn’t gone exactly to plan as a learning curve or plot twist.

     11.  IF BREATHE HAPPINESS WAS A DESSERT, WHAT KIND OF DESSERT WOULD IT BE? 

If so I’m going with an Eton Mess… we don’t fit any mould well.

     12. FAVOURITE SUMMER HOLIDAY MOMENT?

When the kids went back to school… (did I just say that out loud?) In truth summer isn’t over here just yet. We are off to Greece in a few weeks!!







No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...