Monday 8 October 2012

Indikidual


 I first found out about Indikidual at Bubble last year. I thought it was such a fabulous new brand, I bought my little Edith most of their Autumn/Winter Collection. Indikidual is what you want in a children's brand. Their designs are fun, comfy, easy to wear and easy to wash. A no fuse wardrobe for your little one. That's what I'm talking about!!!! I had a nice chat with Syreeta, the designer of Indikidual. Read her interview below. 
Also, watch their adorable video they put together for their Autumn/Winter Collection!


         1. WHAT IS YOUR BACKGROUND? HOW DID INDIKIDUAL COME ABOUT?
I have always loved fashion, I have a degree in textile design and have worked as a buyer/designer since graduating. When I had my daughter Minnie I couldn’t help but start working on a collection based on her ad her funny personality. My other half came up with the name indikidual and it just grew from there.

          2. WHAT INSPIRED THIS SEASONS COLLECTION?
The AW12 prints were really inspired by Minnie and the things she liked when I was designing the collection. She loves bananas (whether its chopping them up, eating them or drawing them) and likes to draw funny faces. The scratch spot print also came from the way she uses her stencils, instead of drawing around the shape she just scribbles to colour them in. With the pieces in the collection I tried to keep the range transitional so it could be worn all the way through the season and layered up and down to make different looks, like a capsule wardrobe.

   3. LIVING IN LONDON, DOES THIS INSPIRE YOUR DESIGNS?
I’m very inspired by my summers in Sweden and how Scandinavia approaches kids       fashion but I think indikidual has a bit of a London edge (with a bit of my dads Caribbean roots thrown in for good measure!). I’m a full time mum so me and Minnie are always out and about, there is so much to do in London with children, I’m sure subconsciously there are a lot of London influences in my designs.

  4. WHAT MUSIC ARE LISTENING TO AT THE MOMENT? DOES MUSIC INSPIRE YOUR COLLECTIONS?
At the moment I’m listening to ALT J but it changes all the time, I’m a big fan of BBC 6 music I always have the radio on when I’m working. We have really loud music playing on the photo-shoot, the kids love it, the favourite song this season was the Chuggington theme tune!

   5. IF YOU COULD COLLABORATE WITH ANYONE, WHO WOULD THAT BE?
I may have a little collaboration in the pipeline so had better not say! I think I would collaborate with any one as long as they were on the same wavelength and we could compliment each other.
  
6. DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONAL STYLE, DOES THIS INFLUENCE YOUR COLLECTION?
I’m a big Monki fan for my main wardrobe then I add a few bits from Marc by Marc Jacobs or APC. I rarely wear make up I tend to dress up my outfits with statement shoes instead. My style definitely filters through to the collection, there are a lot of pieces I wish I had in my wardrobe especially from the new SS13 collection!

     7.   DO YOU HAVE A FAVORITE SHOP, WEBSITE, CAFÉ THAT YOU LOVE TO VISIT OR 
THAT YOU GAIN INSPIRATION FROM?
I have a favourite place, it’s a tiny gallery in Cambridge called kettles yard, its home to some great art mostly from the St Ives area but also a lot of found art. I love it there, its very calm and peaceful a great place to get inspired

 8. WHO ARE YOUR FAVORITE DESIGNERS?
I love marc Jacobs, Malene Birger and Carin Wester but for colour Roksanda Ilincic is amazing

9. WHAT’S NEXT FOR INDIKIDUAL, ANY FUTURE PLANS OR EXCITING NEWS?
I’m just working on the first AW13 samples and I cant wait to show off the outerwear I have been designing!

  10. ANY ADVICE YOU CAN GIVE TO NEW MOMS, NEW DESIGNERS, ETC?
Go with your gut instinct, I was always worried people wouldn't relate to indikidual as it was a bit different but it turns out there are so many parents and kids who share our ideas and love our clothes!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...